[LLVMdev] [patch] CodeEmitter Memory Foot Reduction

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jul 16 09:25:14 PDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:53 AM, Aaron Gray wrote:

> Chris,
>
> The basic idea of using templates inconjunction with inlining is for
> efficiency.
>
> 6,500 virtual calls outputting bytes out of 10000 calls, and the
> rest 1,750 being words to output 10,000 of code does not entice me
> to use virtual calls.

I understand that you say that, but I can't bring myself to care at
this point.  Have you thought about how many cycles are already used
to produce the instructions that lead to the emission of those 10K
bytes?  The total percentage of time spent doing these virtual calls
will be tiny compared to the total time to generate the code.

If you switch to using virtual functions, get the code working, and we
*measure* a performance problem, then we can fix it.  There are much
better ways to do this than templating the whole code emitter.

> Whats Daniels approach, does he have any online documentation or
> code, do you have an email address so I may talk to him.

Take a look at how asmprinters work in include/llvm/Target/
TargetRegistry.h .  If you have specific questions, llvmdev is a great
place to ask them.

-Chris