[LLVMdev] Alloca with LLVMContext

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Wed Jul 15 10:16:35 PDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> I must have missed something. I think you've said that all Types will
> have a Context, in which case the AllocaInst could pull the context
> from its type.

They probably will at some point, in which case this will make sense.
However, it is not possible to introduce that incrementally. Adding a
context reference to Type will require either passing an LLVMContext
into every type constructor (which would create EVEN MORE temporary
API changes), or a branch/patch dump (which is contrary to LLVM
development policy).

I'm trying to make the minimally intrusive set of API changes to
support pushing LLVMContext through things, but some temporary changes
are unavoidable in order to make incremental development possible.

--Owen