[LLVMdev] LLVMdev Digest, Vol 61, Issue 25

Lance de La Haye lance.delahaye at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 11:16:17 PDT 2009

Hi Anton,

The problem is in getting the system configured. Below is the crash I get in
configure. Your comment regarding gnuwin32 not being needed is interesting -
I actually installed gnu bison/flex to get past an earlier crash in
configure.

Thats why I was suggesting that a precompiled OBJ_ROOT for MingW32 would be
a good idea - configure appears to be inherently fragile, and requires more
expertise than I have to get past it if it does fail.

Configure looking like a fragile thing, and windows programmers (like
myself) lacking unix expertise to work arround it if it fails - the
configure script is 1MB in size - 36000+ lines - which is pretty daunting.

I am getting the exact same crash for the configure script for libjit as
well by the way, so I know it's my fault. But I'm not sure whats broken. Do
I have a bad version of 'sed' or something?

I am already using MinGW for my own work, so my basic configuration works
well enough. I installed msys1.0 so I could build llvm, but have no other
need for it. If I could get at a pre-built OBJ_ROOT, I still wouldn't need
it I believe.

NB: The configure script for libjit is 800K

This is what I get when I run configure or make.

sh-3.1$ ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking type of operating system we're going to host on... MingW
checking target architecture... x86
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E

 . . . [240 lines of output in total, before failure]

checking whether the g++ linker
(c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.3.3/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.ex
e) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -DDLL_EXPORT
checking if g++ PIC flag -DDLL_EXPORT works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker
(c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.3.3/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.ex
e) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe
appending configuration tag "F77" to mklib
sed: -e expression #2, char 49: Unterminated `s' command
configure: error: unable to update list of available tagged configurations.

sh-3.1$ make
Makefile:33: Makefile.config: No such file or directory
Makefile:98: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules'.  Stop.

sh-3.1$ mingw32-make
makefile:33: Makefile.config: No such file or directory
makefile:98: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
mingw32-make: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules'.  Stop.

> Message: 13
> Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:52:42 +0400
> From: Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info>
> Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] LLVM pre-built libraries download? (OBJ_ROOT
> structure)
>
> Hello, Lance
>
>> And can I suggest that such a thing be made available on the LLVM
>> downloads
>> page? It would avoid a pretty steep learning curve, to get
>> mingw/msys/gnuwin32 packages cooperating enough to get LLVM built.
> I don't see the point. You still need to have mingw/msys fully set up
> to work with these libraries/headers. gnuwin stuff is not needed
> anymore - LLVM does not use flex / bison
>
> Also, I'm not aware about any problems of building LLVM on mingw
> except some gtest weirdness which can be easily switched off.
>
> --
> With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University

"Boredom is the art of finding something else to do" -- Groucho Marx
           Phone # ++66 821 898 573 (Thailand from 08/09/03)