[LLVMdev] Newbie question

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Thu Jul 2 07:03:22 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Duncan Sands<baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
> with llvm-g++ from subversion, and on x86-64 linux, I also see that
> virtual.llvm-gpp is larger than virtual.gpp, but by a factor of 3.

Hi Duncan,

I'm using mainstream 2.5 (from Ubuntu repo). I should be compiling the
svn tree this weekend, though.

> The sizes of the .o files are:
>  g++: 9704 bytes
>  llvm-g++: 10728 bytes
> so the size difference comes from linking.  If I link them both
> using g++ then the final executable sizes are:
> g++: 19881 bytes
> llvm-g++: 21721 bytes
> so the actual difference is due to some details of how llvm-g++ is
> doing the linking.  I don't know what these details are though.

Yeah, I forgot to check the object files, but the ELF information made
it pretty clear that the linking was bloating the final target with
unnecessary code.

Once I get llvm compiled, I'll try to get a bit deeper into the problem.

cheers,
--renato

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at