[LLVMdev] Writing an LLVM Compiler Backend

Misha Brukman brukman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:06:18 PST 2009

Hi Rudskyy,

The place to ask LLVM-related questions is llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu -- I've cc'd
the list.

2009/1/30 Rudskyy <tema13tema at yahoo.de>

>  I need some help in subject: "Writing an LLVM Compiler Backend"!
>
> There is a processor with a simple assembly code (http://hilscher.com/   xPEC- processor). I understand, that I need to convert a llvm-IR code to
> my specific assembly (no JIT).
>
> But I haven't experience in compilers. I have found llvm-projects and try
> to implement it to my task, but don't success!
>
> Can you help, suggest to start from?

Judging by your email, I assume you were looking at
http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMBackend.html ?  If you're not familiar
with compilers or LLVM, consider reading some documents and looking at some
of the presentations here: http://llvm.org/docs/#llvmdesign .

You can also see how other backends are implemented in LLVM:
http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/lib/Target/ .  You'll want to
read about Tablegen: http://llvm.org/docs/TableGenFundamentals.html which
will tell you how to write the .td files to describe your target, and then
write the correct components (code generator, assembly printer, etc.) for
your target.

Good luck!

Misha