[LLVMdev] RFC: -fwritable-strings Change

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Tue Jan 27 14:32:54 PST 2009

Hello, Bill

> I should have put this in darwin.h and called it from there. I think
> that there is a far more fundamental problem that affects more than
> Objective-C. Even with C code, we place a null string in a writable
> section, which isn't correct. I've attached the .bc file. The culprit
> is the @"\01LC" global. (This is generated with my hack, so it has an
> explicit "section".) Any suggestions for a back-end fix would be
> welcome
Fix commited :) Actually it was my fault. We have ConstantArray stuff
for everything string-like but non-zero and ConstantAggregateZero for
string-like but zero (rather odd!). I was not aware about such during
writing of section selection code, thus missed the second opportunity.
Now everything should be ok as of r63139. Let me know, if it still
fails for you somehow.

I'm currently in paper-deadline-really-soon-but-no-paper-yet mode and
thus have really no free time, please consider adding testcase by
yourself :)

---
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov