[LLVMdev] building clang when present

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Mon Jan 19 14:55:24 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> I see that a significant amount of work is devoted to enhancing/fixing
> the current build framework, which is perfectly okay with me, but
> seeing
> once and again how you guys work on the build instead of
> enhancing/fixing LLVM itself makes me think "what a waste of
> talent" :-)

Not my fault clang doesn't build when I type make.  :-)  I don't
consider adding 2 lines to be all that time consuming.  As for what I
work on, well, if someone else had it building before I got to it, I
would not have had to do the work, therefore, it falls on me, if I
want it to build.  Not my choice, that's just how it worked out.  :-)

> With some work it is possible to support building clang on an
> arbitrary directory, even putting LLVM as a subdirectory of clang,
> which is more natural than the current arrangement.

:-)  Hey, I'd endorse that!  I find that a more natural layout.
Though, I don't want to do the work myself.

> So if you are on the mood of devoting your time to enhancing the LLVM
> build system, please consider working on the CMake spec, and
> specifically on "make check" support.

Presently that is outside the scope of what I'm working on.