[LLVMdev] LLVM + OpenAnalysis

Simone Pellegrini spellegrini at dps.uibk.ac.at
Fri Jan 16 00:36:55 PST 2009

Hello everybody,
I am currently looking at the LLVM project to find if it is suitable for
what I have in mind. My research consists in optimization of parallel
applications (mainly MPI and OpenMP) via transformations. What I need is
the possibility to analyze and optimize production programs written in
C/C++ and Fortran.

So, I've been looking inside a lot of source-to-source compilers (like
ROSE) but as far as it's a 100% research project, it is really not ready
to be used with production code. :(  On the other hand another approach
could be use LLVM... and apply the transformations directly at bytecode
level. This second way  is quite interesting and gives me a lot of
advantages (like the ability to take into account several languages)...
but I need stronger program analysis.

It would nice if I could use LLVM bytecode with OpenAnalysis
(http://openanalysis.berlios.de/). I know that some people worked on
this aspect (LLVM - OA integration) but I cannot find anything on the
internet about that. So I am asking to you... GURUs of the Low Level
Virtual Machines... can you give me some pointers to this integration?

regards, Simone Pellegrini