[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Testing and CMake

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Thu Jan 15 12:06:11 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> Hello Steve.
>
> steve naroff <snaroff at apple.com> writes:
>
>> For development, CMake is working great for me. I rarely get build
>> errors related to the project file being out-of-date.
>>
>> Is it true that CMake only generates absolute paths? Any idea on the
>> difficulty of generating relative paths? I consider this a pretty big
>> obstacle...
>
> Well, the fact that you didn't *still* noticed this limitation makes
> me
> think that this is rarely needed :-)

I haven't noticed it because I've been on the "development" side
(where the absolute paths aren't a problem).

> Can you describe on which scenario do you require to move around build
> trees?

Sure...

As various clang features mature, we enter a "deployment" phase. As
part of deployment, it is necessary to provide Apple's Build &
Integration team a self-contained source tree that builds properly.
This is where the rub is. It isn't appropriate to ask B&I engineers to
use "cmake".

That said, I want to generate the VS solution files on my local
machine and then copy them to a B&I machine and have everything "just
work". For example:

snaroffBook% ls /Volumes/Data/WindowsShared/objc_translate-9/
llvm		vs2005-build

The VS solution files located in "vs2005-build" were built with the
following command "cmake ../llvm". Since I am using a relative path on
the command line, I assumed it would use relative paths (my bad
assumption).

Another point...I have no need to ever "move" the cmake generated
build files away from the source tree. The source tree and the build
tree will always move in lock step (which simplifies the problem I am
looking to solve).

Thanks for any help with this,

snaroff