[LLVMdev] [llvm-commits] [llvm] r58505 - /llvm/trunk/lib/VMCore/Type.cpp

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jan 14 23:57:05 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 2:08 AM, Sachin.Punyani at microchip.com wrote:
> I am starting an old pending task. This is to make 16 bit integer a
> valid index.

Great!

> Above in the mail is the link to modification that Sanjiv made.
> Also, I
> have just gone through an old discussion related to index validity.
> Here
> is the link -
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2008-July/015674.html
>
> Can you please provide some pointers to what kind of changes bc
> reader/writer or other areas of compiler would require.

At the minimum, we need to be able to write a GEP with a 16-bit index
in a .ll file, and do:

llvm-as < foo.ll | llvm-dis | llvm-as | llvm-dis

and get the same gep out.  This means that we need a way to encode the
index in the .bc file.  Also, the description in docs/LangRef.html and
the getelementptr FAQ need to be updated.

Thanks for tackling this!

-Chris