[LLVMdev] malloc vs malloc

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jan 14 08:29:02 PST 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 05:29, Chris Lattner wrote:

> 1) in practice, IMO, everyone building for user space has libc in
> their address space, even if they are supporting some non-C language
> like haskell or ocaml or something.

This is not true at least for the Free Pascal Compiler on non-Mac OS X
and non-Solaris platforms. Normally, we directly use syscalls and link
to nothing system-installed. The reason for this approach is that on
e.g. Linux and FreeBSD, it almost guarantees spotless binary
compatibility across different versions and/or distributions (while
depending on any system library whatsoever almost guarantees absence
of binary compatibility over time in most situations).

On the other hand, since we uppercase and mangle all of our assembler-
level identifiers by default, it is unlikely that an identifier named
"free" will actually exist. But it's not impossible (anyone can define
aliases for functions/variables using any name).

> 5) regardless of #1/2, we want to support things like -fno-builtin-
> free someday.  -ffree-standing would also imply this sort of thing,
> as would -no-builtins etc.

Yes, please!

Jonas