[LLVMdev] Creating an LLVM Project

Libor Spacek libors at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 01:12:12 PST 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 03:45:41 -0000, <llvmdev-request at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hrm.  The projects document assumes that the reader is already familiar
> with other LLVM build system issues.  It would be better if that were
> clarified.
>
> I suppose we could do one of two things:
>
> 1) Point back to the Getting Started Guide where srcdir and objdir are
> more clearly defined.
> 2) Add a note in the beginning of the document explaining what
> prerequisite material is needed and where to read it.
>
> Thoughts on which would be better?  Is the srcdir/objdir issue the only
> unclear bit in that document?
>
> -- John T.

As a beginner, I found the following additional points difficult:

1) It is not emphasised enough that the paths must be hard-coded full paths.
But why? This makes portability of one's project impossible.

2) None of it even begins to work in practice, unless you happen to have
the same old version of autoconf.

Libor