[LLVMdev] LLVM DebugInfoBuilder

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:22:03 PST 2009

Looking at DebugInfo.h, there are a couple of minor features that
DebugInfoBuilder that I would miss:
1) The ability to pass in an LLVM type and have it figure out the size,
alignment, etc. without having to explicitly pass those values in as
parameters to the builder call.

2) The ability for the size & alignment to be specified as Constants rather
than as int64 so that the "gep trick" can be used to generate
target-agnostic debug info. (I don't know if there are other aspects of the
debug info which would prevent it from being target-agnostic.)

-- Talin

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Talin wrote:
>
> Fine by me :)
>

> Is it ok to remove DebugInfoBuilder now?  I don't think that anything in
> the tree is using it, what do you think Talin?
>
> -Chris
>

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>>
>> > Hi list,
>> > hi Talin,
>> >
>> > I'm working on a frontend to generate IR using the IRBuilder from
>> > LLVM.
>> >
>> > Now I want to add source-level-debuginfo and for that I would like
>> > to use the
>> > DebugInfoBuilder as it is taking some of the burderns. Unfortunately
>> > it does
>> > not take all of them, yet.
>>
>> Instead of DebugInfoBuilder, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at
>> include/llvm/Analysis/DebugInfo.h.  This is the interface that llvm-
>> gcc and clang both use to produce debug info.  If it's ok with Talin,
>> I'd like to eventually remove DebugInfoBuilder.  Analysis/DebugInfo.h
>> provides a nice and efficient API for both creating and reading debug
>> info, and abstracts the clients from the actual form (e.g. serialized
>> into GlobalVariables) that the debug info takes.
>>
>> -Chris
>>

> --
> -- Talin

-- Talin