[LLVMdev] RFA: TREE_READONLY in LLVM-GCC

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 03:44:35 PST 2009

Hi LLVM-GCC hackers!

I have a global variable that I want to mark as "TREE_READONLY" so
that it will become a "constant" in LLVM IR. This is for the new
blocks-related stuff, but that's not necessarily important for this
question. In particular, I want to mark the "block_holder" created in
"build_block_literal_tmp()" as read-only.

My question to you is: Considering that LLVM-GCC uses only a small
part of the GCC source base, what affect will marking the
"block_holder" variable as TREE_READONLY have? Does LLVM-GCC run
through code that looks at this flag and act differently before it
generates the LLVM IR?

I know that this is a broad question and difficult to answer. I'm
mostly looking for people's gut reactions to this proposal. My current
plan is to "test it out and see if it works," but the testing might
not be comprehensive enough to ferret out potential problems.

Thanks in advance!

-bw