[LLVMdev] warning from -instcombine

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:20:00 PST 2009

> How about setting an error flag, and error message in the Module, then
> let the caller know the Module is broken?

I'm not sure what you mean by "broken". In the case of this "arguments
were dropped" warning, the module just contains some code that will
give undefined behaviour if it gets executed. It would be reasonable
for an optimiser to turn that code into a call to abort(). In the
static compilation case it would also be reasonable to warn the user;
it's just that dumping this message to cerr is a very crude way of
doing that, compared to the sort of warnings that a user would expect
to see from a GCC-like compiler.

Jay.