[LLVMdev] RFC: Bugpoint Patch

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:40:38 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Dale Johannesen wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 4:59 PMPST, Bill Wendling wrote:
>
>> I'm running into a problem where I need to have the "gcc" that's
>> executed by "bugpoint" take certain arguments that aren't applicable
>> to "llc". So, I came up with this patch, that adds a new flag
>> "-gcc-tool-args". It's similar to "-tool-args" but passes the command
>> line arguments to gcc instead of to llc.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I like the new flag but I'm not sure changing that test is the right
> way to fix this failure.  There is nothing inherent in that test
> that requires it to be compiled 32-bit; it ought to work in
> environments where llvm and the host compiler both target 64-bit
> (and I think it does).

I agree.

> I think if you're going to change the test you need to add "target"
> lines to the test to force it to be compiled 32-bit.

Unfortunately, we don't have that mechanism available for C or C++
files.

> The real problem is the llvm you're testing is out of sync with the
> host compiler (for those following along at home, gcc defaults to 64-
> bit codegen in the environment Bill is testing).  I think a better
> approach is to  build llvm in such a way that it matches the host
> compiler.  Of course that will expose other bugs....

Maybe it's just a manner of having llc default to 64-bit codegen for
the environment I'm working on. I think that it defaults to 32-bit
right now. *checks* Yes, it does. And GCC is expecting 64-bit in that
environment.

Drat.

-bw