[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc (pre-release and svn sources) fails to compile on Solaris10/SPARC

Kshitij Sudan kshitij at cs.utah.edu
Tue Feb 24 14:25:34 PST 2009

>> I then tried the subversion sources (rev. # 65253 fro llvm and
>> rev#65263 for llvm-gcc) and llvm at least builds correctly ( I however
>> have not tried testing it!).
>
> You can install dejagnu, and run 'make check' in the llvm objdir.
> All tests except one pass for me on Solaris10/x86 (LLVMHello.so is not
> copied to the correct location for some reason, so that test fails),
> it would be interesting to see what happens on Sparc.

I am totally inexperienced with testing using dejagnu, but here's the
output summary that's dumped on my screen >>
                ===  Summary ===

# of expected passes            1774
# of unexpected failures        69
# of unexpected successes       2
# of expected failures          13

I see a lot of "FAIL:" messages, and they are somehow always related
to -march=x86 flag for llc. Following is an example of these kind of
errors>>

FAIL: /local/space2/llvm_toolchain/llvm/test/Transforms/TailDup/if-tail-dup.ll
Failed with exit(1) at line 1
while running:  llvm-as <
/local/space2/llvm_toolchain/llvm/test/Transforms/TailDup/if-tail-\
dup.ll |  opt -tailduplicate |   llc -march=x86 -o if-tail-dup.ll.tmp -f
llc: for the -march option: : Cannot find option named 'x86'!

I'm not really sure what's going on! It'd be great if soemone can
provide some insight into this for me.

>> Using built-in specs. Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.10 Configured with:
>> ../gcc-4.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.3.2
>> --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local Thread model: posix gcc
>> version 4.3.2 (GCC)
>>

> Wow, where did you get a 4.3.x compiler for Solaris? Latest I've seen
> packaged are 3.4.x and 4.0.x.

I compiled gcc-4.3 from sources.

-Kshitij