[LLVMdev] PredicateSimplifier questions

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Sun Feb 15 20:31:11 PST 2009

PredicateSimplifier is a pretty interesting pass, but it doesn't look
like opt invokes it at any standard -Ox level, and so I assume that
llvm-gcc also does not use this pass?  If that is right, I'm curious
about why this is the case -- does it simply not provide enough code
speedup to compensate for the increase in compile time?

Also, a colleague and I (we both teach advanced compiler courses) would
like to have a relatively easy way for students to try out various
abstract interpretation techniques on LLVM code.  Writing an abstract
interpreter from scratch has too much overhead.  Of the LLVM passes that
we know of, PredicateSimplifier seems the best starting point for making
a more generic abstract interpreter into which collections of transfer
functions could be plugged.  Does that seem right or can anyone suggest
a better starting point?  It would be pretty cool, for example, to see
what the Octagon domain could learn about LLVM programs.

John Regehr