[LLVMdev] overflow + saturation stuff

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Feb 8 02:59:15 PST 2009

On 07 Feb 2009, at 23:17, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Edwin was asking about how we should handle PR3328, how we should make
> GEP respect -fwrapv etc.  I wrote up some thoughts here if anyone is
> interested:
> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/IntegerOverflow.txt

The proposal suggests to change/split the existing sub/add/mul
opcodes. This makes me wonder to what extent it is (currently, or
ever) advisable for an external compiler to generate LLVM IR. Is there
a plan to stabilise at some point and guarantee backwards
compatibility to a certain extent, or should compilers that are not
integrated in the LLVM infrastructure always target one particular
release of LLVM?

Jonas