[LLVMdev] Reminder: 2.5 branch re-creation tonight.

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon Feb 2 13:22:17 PST 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 14:54, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
> > On Monday 02 February 2009 13:20, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
> >> Just a reminder, I'll be re-creating the 2.5 branch tonight at 9pm PST.
> >
> > What does re-creating mean?  Why can't the previously-created 2.5 branch
> > simply be updated?
>
> It means deleting the branch and creating a new one.

That's what I was afraid of.

> > I ask because svn history will look a little wierd and it makes it harder
> > for third parties to track revisions and do merges.
>
> I don't really understand why this is an issue. I'm sure svn is capable of
> extracting the information that you want. I'd rather not do one giant
> merge to our existing branch which will only create more noise to
> llvm-commits.

A delete followed by a re-copy is more noise than a single commit.

It's a problem because we'll essentially have created two branches with the
same name.  Yes, I can extract the information "by eye" but we have scripts
here that walk svn history to do merges and a re-created branch is probably
going to confuse them.

                                                  -Dave