[LLVMdev] "Graphite" for llvm

Tobias Grosser grosser at fim.uni-passau.de
Sat Dec 26 13:43:22 PST 2009

Hi ether,

On 12/26/09 13:06, ether zhhb wrote:
> hi,
>
> dose anyone going/planning to add something like
> Graphite(http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite) in gcc to llvm(or that
> should be implement at the level of clang?)?

I already looked into implementing something like Graphite for LLVM.
However just recently, so I have not released any code yet. As soon as
some code is available I will post patches.

Anybody who wants to work on the polyhedral model in LLVM, is invited to
the Graphite mailing list, so we can share ideas.

Here some information about graphite like optimizations in LLVM.

A short introduction to the current state of GCC/Graphite:
Graphite is a project in GCC that uses a mathematical representation,
the polytop model, to represent and transform loops and other control
flow structures. Using an abstract representation it is possible to
reason about transformations in a more general way and to use highly
optimized linear programming libraries to figure out the optimal loop
structures. These transformations can be used to do constant propagation
through arrays, remove dead loop iterations, optimize loops for cache
locality, optimize arrays, apply advanced automatic parallelization, or
to drive vectorization.

The current state of Graphite and the polyhedral model in general is at
the moment in between research and production. Over the last 20 years
there has been a lot of research in the area of the polyhedral model,
however it was never used in real world compilers (I know of) until
Sebastian Pop started to implement the required analysis and Graphite
itself. Graphite has shown that it is possible to convert a low level
imperative language into the polyhedral model and generate working code
back from it with reasonable afford. Now several people from INRIA, IBM,
AMD, the University of Passau and China are working on making the
optimizations that have been found during the 20 years of  research
available to GCC. The latest news about Graphite, will be presented on
the GROW workshop 2010 in Pisa by Konrad Trifunovic.

[Advertisement end] ;-)

A general plan to implement polyhedral transformations in LLVM:

1. The identity transformation (LLVM->polyedral->LLVM)

Create the polyhedral representation of the LLVM IR, do nothing with it,
and generate LLVM IR from the polyhedral representation. (Enough to
attach external optimizers)

1.1 Detect regions
1.2 Translate LLVM IR to polyhedral model

The first step will be to analyze the LLVM intermediate language and
extract control flow regions that can be analyzed using the polyhedral
model. This is mainly based on the scalar evolution analysis and should
be more or less like the detection in Graphite.
One point I do not yet fully understand is how to get array access
functions from the LLVM-IR. (Probably based on getElementPtr)

Another question is which polyhedral library can be used inside LLVM.
One option would be ISL from Sven Verdoolaege (LGPL) another the PPL
from Roberto Bagnara (GPLv3).

1.3 Generate LLVM IR from polyhedral mode

For code generation the CLooG/isl library can be used. It is LGPL
licensed. Sven will also work on an CLooG using the PPL, so this could
also be an option.

2. Optimize on the polyhedral representation

2.1 Use external optimizers
---------------------------

The polyhedral loop description is simple and not compiler depended.
Therefore external tools like LooPo (automatic parallelization), Pluto
(optimization in general) or even Graphite might be used to optimize
code. This could give a first impression what to expect from the
polyhedral model in LLVM.

There are also affords to establish an interchangeable polyhedral format
(scoplib - Louis-Noel Pouchet) and to generate a polyhedral compilation
package. These will allow to share/exchange optimizations between
different compilers and research tools.

Furthermore an external interface will enable researchers to use LLVM
for their work on polyhedral optimizations. This might be useful as
there is no polyhedral compiler for any dynamic language yet. Also
recent work on optimizing for GPUs has started in the polyhedral
community, so the LLVM OpenCL implementation might be interesting too.

2.2 Implement optimizations in LLVM
-----------------------------------

Useful optimizations could be imported into / rewritten in LLVM. For
optimizations that transfrom the LLVM-IR like vectorization or automatic
parallelization at least some part of the optimizations has to be in
LLVM anyway.

This is just a rough overview. If anybody is interested in working on
any of these topics, as mentioned above, I would be glad to help.

Enjoy your holidays

Tobi

P.S.: I do not see any reason implement this in Clang, the LLVM IR is
the right place to do this.