[LLVMdev] Compilation problem with JIT/Interpreter

Scott Michel scooter.phd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 23:00:20 PST 2009

Jerome:

No, there are no plans to JIT to SPU. That's considerably more complicated
-- you'd have to figure out when to JIT to the SPU and live with all of the
constraints that the SPU imposes (data reformatting, r/w DMA, ensure your
code lives in 256K unless you can manage to interface with the virtual
I-cache work.)

Basically, it's not trivial and it doesn't quite fit into the current LLVM
JIT model.

Moreover, the Cell SPU backend is still incomplete. Given the level of my
(day job) management responsibilities, I have less and less time to hack.
I'm becoming less enthusiastic about continued development since IBM has all
but declared the Cell dead (no one from the Cell team at Supercomputing, so,
read between the lines.) A UCLA comp sci group might pick up and finish the
backend for their research.

-scooter