[LLVMdev] AVX Shuffles & PatLeaf Help Needed

David Greene dag at cray.com
Thu Dec 17 15:10:44 PST 2009

I'm working on debugging AVX shuffles and I ran into an interesting
problem.

The current isSHUFPMask predicate in X86ISelLowering needs to be
generalized to operate on 128-bit or 256-bit masks.  There are
probably lots of other things to change too (LowerVECTOR_SHUFFLE_4wide,
etc.) but I'll worry about that later.

The generalized rule is:

1. For the low 64 bits of the result vector, the source can be from
   the low 128 bits of vector 1.

2. For the next 64 bits, the source can be from the low 128 bits of
   vector 2.

3. For the 3rd 64 bits, the source is the high 128 bits of vector 1.

4. For the high 64 bits, the source is the high 128 bits of vector 2.

For 128 bit vectors, steps 3 and 4 are ignored since there are no high
128 bits.

Determining the answer boils down to knowing how big a vector element
is.  Then we can map operand values to ranges within 64-bit and 128-bit
chunks and determine the proper index ranges to look for.  For example,
for 64-bit elements, result element zero must come from index 0 or 1.
For 32-bit elements, result element zero must come from index 0-3.

In isSHUFPMask all we have is the SDNode of the shufflevector index vector.
Unfortunately, this tells us nothing about the type of the result vector.
If we have two operands, we obviously have a v2i/f64 vector.  For eight
operands, we have a v8i/f32 vector.  But for four operands we could have
a v4f/i32 or a v4f/i64.  So we can't know the vector element size and thus
we can't map shufflevector indices valid ranges for output vector elements.

If I change isSHUFPMask to take an extra argument which is the result
vector type (or element type, or something similar), how would I express
that extra argument in the .td file?  Right now we do:

SHUFP_shuffle_mask:$src3

to add the predicate to check the 3rd (mask) operand for conformance to
something SHUFPS/D can handle.

Is there some way currently to add another "argument" to the PatLeaf
invocation?

                           -Dave