[LLVMdev] LLVM MinGW binaries on Vista issue

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 09:22:45 PST 2009

> > What threw me was the projects inclusion of 2 of the 3 other pieces that make up a typical manual install of mingw or http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/  I saw the runtime and w32api stuff in my very quick scan of the llvm-gcc dir and didn't bother to confirm binutils :(
> Well, binutils are quite different:
> 1. It's GPL-licensed, thus we need to provide sources as well, which
> is bit inconvenient

To make it easier to use the LLVM-GCC MinGW32 binary and meet your GPL licensing requirements, could you embed the MinGW binutils binary as-is in the LLVM-GCC MinGW32 and update the LLVM docs to point to the MinGW SourceForge download site for those wanting the MinGW binutils source?

Is the GPL the only reason why binutils isn't currently included in the LLVM-GCC MinGW32 binary?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites

Jon