[LLVMdev] LLVM + Eclipse?

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 08:52:26 PST 2009

On 12/16/09 1:41 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Talin<viridia at gmail.com>:
>
>> So, suppose I wanted to create an Eclipse plugin that could read an LLVM
>> bitcode file. What would be the best way to bridge between the Java and C++
>> worlds? I thought about calling llvm-dis as a subprocess and then parsing
>> the output, but that seems fragile to me. I'd rather deal with the API level
>> if possible.
>>
> Hi Talin,
>
> You'd still have to use Java to create the plugin and, unless you
> write a new llvm-dis in Java, there no way you get a clean API.
>
> AFAICS, What you can do is re-write llvm-dis (it's just a small cpp
> file) but using JNI calls rather than the main(), and use that from
> your plugin.
>
> What are your goals with this plugin? It'd be nice to edit the IR,
> send it to the back-end or JIT, compile it back to C and re-edit, for
> code that is hard to optimize. But just visualizing the code would be
> good enough, especially if you can select the optimization levels
> seamlessly or even have three panels, one with each level to compare
> (maybe using Eclipse's diff utility).

Well, all I really want is some sort of tree-view of the global
variables and functions, so that I can verify that my code generator is
correct. Right now it's really hard to read the output of llvm-dis,
especially the source-level debugging stuff.

(Another, perhaps easier option would be to simply write a
pretty-printer mode for llvm-dis.)