[LLVMdev] Appending linkage

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:03:44 PST 2009

I've started a number of threads on this exact question, search the email
archives if you are interested.

At this point, I have basically given up on using appending linkage for
anything. Instead, the solution I've adopted is a custom linker pass that
stitches globals together in the way that I need them to be. (This would be
easier if I could define my own linkage type - as it stands, I have to rely
on other clues as to which globals to combine together.)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:12 AM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Robin Sommer <robinsommer at web.de>
> wrote:

> >> Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something?
> >
> > Appending linkage isn't really intended for normal code; the most
> > common uses are for special globals, like "llvm.used" and
> > "llvm.global_ctors", which use compiler magic to work properly.
>
> I know there was talk at one point in the past of a certain thing you
> could setup that appends a zero to the end of that global array so you
> could iterate through it safely, did that ever come about?

-- Talin