[LLVMdev] Old DOUT

David Greene dag at cray.com
Thu Dec 10 13:46:03 PST 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009 16:30, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> Hello, David
>
> > What replaced the old DOUT?
>
> DEBUG(errs() << foo);
>
> The reason is quite simple - DOUT in release mode was just /dev/null,
> but the functions sending data to it were still called.

errs() is no good.  I would want to keep errs() printing things out
immediately.  I need something else that buffers until program termination.

So I would write the above as:

DEBUG(dbgs() << foo);

Does that sound reasonable?

There are some tricky cases where dump routines are used either to
print error messages or to print debug information.  In those cases
I may have to parameterize the dump routine with the stream.

                            -Dave