[LLVMdev] Transparent LTO on Mac OS X

Shantonu Sen ssen at apple.com
Fri Dec 4 14:27:18 PST 2009

Are you building llvm-gcc yourself? If so, what version?

Xcode releases include an older llvm-gcc and libLTO.dylib, which may not understand bitcode generated by newer self-built compilers.

If you are only using llvm-gcc from the Xcode tools release, use the driver from:
/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2

If you are building llvm-gcc yourself, try, in this order:
1) sudo ln -s ../../Developer/usr/lib/libLTO.dylib /usr/lib/libLTO.dylib

2) If you still get errors, try installing the libLTO.dylib from your LLVM build into /Developer/usr/lib. Make sure that if you're on a 64-bit machine, you built llvm for x86_64-apple-darwin10 (which should be the default)

Shantonu Sen
ssen at apple.com

Sent from my Mac Pro