[LLVMdev] Adding multiples-of-8 integer types to MVT

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Wed Dec 2 12:45:05 PST 2009

Instead of putting the burden on the back-ends to implement special
lowering code, why not implement code in the legalizer that would
automatically sign extend them to the next largest power of 2 integer if
the specific integer types were not supported. This would then remove
the need of the back-ends to implement anything as LLVM would just
generate extend the values to i32/i64 silently.

Micah