[LLVMdev] Build(s) broken?

Paul Melis llvm at assumetheposition.nl
Mon Aug 31 15:00:28 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Duncan Sands wrote:

>> I figured perhaps the --with-llvm value I used was wrong (should it be
>> llvm build-dir or final installation dir?), but after trying different
>> values it still makes no difference. What would cause llvm-gcc to loose
>> the capability of writing out LLVM IR?
>

> maybe you built an llvm-gcc with LLVM disabled (in which case you get
> an ordinary Apple GCC, or at least you're supposed to)?  Did you specify
> --enable-llvm when configuring GCC?
So I've now had multiple hints (from Duncan, Anton and Jim) that I need
--enable-llvm instead of --with-llvm. That clears up a lot of confusion,
but one thing still surprises me:

Using --with-llvm creates an llvm-gcc build that can't produce LLVM IR,
fine.
After building and installing this borked build I updated LLVM from SVN
and built it (not knowing llvm-gcc was broken).
During LLVM configure I now see this line:

checking whether llvm-gcc is sane... no

But still the LLVM build tries to use it, as the previously reported
runtime/libprofile problem pops up again due to my llvm-gcc not being
able to generate LLVM IR.
I guess I'm curious why even though configure is able to tell my
llvm-gcc is not behaving as it should it continues to be used it anyway.

Ah well, build systems ... the next complex thing after compilers,
right? ;-)

Thanks for all the help everybody!
Paul