[LLVMdev] Slow jitter.

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Wed Aug 26 07:44:11 PDT 2009

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> With this change the time used by code generation goes down from 33
> seconds to 26.5.

... and that's probably not worth it because of the loss of code
quality. In Pure I always  use llvm::CodeGenOpt::Aggressive, although
there's a preprocessor symbol to select llvm::CodeGenOpt::None at
compile time.

I also found that in Pure the lion's share of compilation time is spent
in the JIT (and I have a bunch of optimization passes enabled, which
don't add much to the total compilation time). That's why I always let
the JIT do its lazy compilation thing, in an interactive
interpreter-like environment that's quite sensible. If people want to
get rid of the JIT latency, they have the option to compile their Pure
scripts to native executables. This approach works very well for me.

Just my 0.02c.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag