[LLVMdev] Build issues on Solaris

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Tue Aug 25 07:44:07 PDT 2009

Nathan Keynes wrote:

> You know, now that you mention it why _are_ there two versions of this
> bit? If there's a concern about sed possibly being broken, we could
> just remove sed altogether and let perl handle it:
Perl uses whatever command shell that its C compiler uses.  If that
command shell happens to be a Bourne shell, then the whole pipe sequence
works (subject to availability of sed, sort, and uniq but that is pretty
much a freebie on systems with Bourne shells) and should be used to
avoid the completely unnecessary risk of breaking pre-existing
platforms.  (I defer to those who actually have seniority regarding
whether that risk is completely unnecessary, but that is what dictated
my strategy in implementing this originally.)

If the C command shell is cmd.exe or command.com (which is true for
ActivePerl, Strawberry Perl, and Perl built from tarball using MingW32,
but *not* the binary package of Perl distributed by the MingW project),
the pipe from nm to sed fails.  Nothing is detected regardless of the
results from nm in this case.

Kenneth