[LLVMdev] Build issues on Solaris

Nathan Keynes Nathan.Keynes at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 18 16:23:40 PDT 2009

On 19/08/2009, at 2:55 AM, Edward O'Callaghan wrote:

> Good day Nathan,
>
> If your using the stock GCC with Solaris, I am sorry to inform you its
> broken, Please see:
> http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc
> Please be warned as your get miss compiles and things will do
> strange `stuff`.

Hi Edward,

    Good to know - I think I've only built 32-bit versions with 3.4.3,
so I haven't run into this particular bug there. I usually do the
optimized and 64-bit builds with gcc 4.2 or 4.3.

> As can be seen here, the reverse is true for both the GNU binutils and
> XPG4 versions of `nm' :

<snip nm examples>

> I believe this is a bug in the version of `nm` your using, prob /usr/
> bin/nm .

Yes, Sun nm (/usr/bin/nm) produces different output to GNU nm (and the
XPG4 version is different again, yes), and always has as far as I know
- this isn't a bug in nm per se. In any case LLVM 2.4 and 2.5 built
correctly with /usr/bin/nm, so this seems like a regression to me. As
I said, the best fix is probably to adjust the sed expression so that
it can handle the output from /usr/bin/nm -p -u (or any other nm we
know about).

Cheers,
Nathan