[LLVMdev] An interesting comparison.

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 9 10:10:58 PDT 2009

Hello Rich,

To answer your question:  Yes.

To answer the question better:  It depends somewhat on the dependencies that all get linked in by other dependencies.  I'm inclined to think that NewLib, being designed for embedded controller use is quite compact compared to just about anything else.

Since most platforms implement the runtime library as a shared object or some equivalent, it doesn't matter much how big it is since it only loads into memory once regardless to how many times it is used.  The moral of the story is:  Statically link only if your platform doesn't support shared objects.

--Sam