[LLVMdev] About debug in LLVM!!!

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Wed Aug 5 19:32:39 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Sylvere Teissier<st at invia.fr> wrote:
>> 2. The backend (llc) converts that to Dwarf (or something else as
>> desired by that back-end).
>>
> How advanced is LLVM Dwarf generation compared to GCC ?

Devang can probably give a better answer, but my understanding is:

1. At -O0, the quality is very good, with a few exceptions (like
inlined functions). With clang I believe there are cases where we are
more accurate than gcc.

2. At -O1+ we only have line number information, which is approximate
at best. This is substantially worse than gcc (although plenty of
caveats about debugging optimized code apply).

 - Daniel