[LLVMdev] Outputting hex in DOUT's

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Aug 4 16:24:26 PDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 4:03 PM, David Greene wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 August 2009 17:52, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer for it to be eliminated, but it is currently used widely.
>> If your patches don't make it substantially worse, I won't have a
>> problem with them.  Bonus points for removing DOUTs though :)
>
> Ok, this is good to know.  With some of these patches I will have
> opportunities to remove DOUTS.

Nice! Thanks,

> What's the rationale for getting rid of it?

The big issue is things like this:

   DOUT << foo.getName() << "\n";

When -debug is disable and even when assertions are turned off,
foo.getName() is still called.  When you use:

DEBUG(errs() << foo.getName() << "\n");

When assertions are turned off, the call doesn't exist.  It is also a
lot less "magic".

-Chris