[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc-4.2-2.5 fails to build from source on arm: MACHO_DYNAMIC_NO_PIC_P undeclared

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 04:22:59 PDT 2009

On 8/3/09, Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
>  > Thanks. Do you have fixes for the other ARM bloopers? This is the
>  > forthcoming Debian version and it's now dying on arm-gnueabi when it
>  > links cc1-dummy saying
>
> Please use the current Top-of-the-Tree version.

Sorry, that's not an option as I'm trying to fix the Debian version,
which uses "stable" releases. Each Debian build takes 6 hours, so
finding and fixing these bugs one by one is quite a long process.

llvm-gcc-4.2-2.5 is failing to build from source on arm, sparc,
powerpc and ia64, only succeeding on i386 and amd64:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=llvm-gcc-4.2;dist=unstable
so it looks like the 2.5 release was never properly tested before it
was published.

If the issues and fixes are "known", can you make them known to the
public, for example by producing a 2.5.1 with the worst bugs fixed, or
by documenting the issues and patches in the "Known problems" section?
It would be a big help to all the distro maintainers.

Thanks & sorry to be the bringer of bad news...