[LLVMdev] adding header files to code

Danalis, Antonios adanalis at utk.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:54:36 PDT 2009

Hi Kshitiz,

You can achieve the result you want, but I don't think you can do it in a "clean" way.  For one, clock()'s result should be divided by CLOCKS_PER_SEC which is a macro and therefore it will never going to make it past the preprocessor.  In other words, your optimization pass cannot emit code that uses CLOCKS_PER_SEC as a variable.  You have to assume that its value (1,000,000) is fixed across all environments you want your pass to be used in, and hardcode the value.  If you do that though, you can also assume that "clock_t" will be always "long int" and solve your original problem.  If you think of it though, you would have to make an assumption along these lines anyway.  If not, what would your optimization pass do with the return value of clock()?

Alternatively, you could follow a "two phases" approach.  Write a small program that includes all the appropriate headers and uses the functions and/or macros your opt pass needs to insert in the target code, and distribute that little program with your pass. Then in phase one compile that program with LLVM and have another pass (say p0) look at the types/constants the front end generated based on the local headers.  At this point, p0 can save in a configuration file all this info.  Then, in phase two, your real optimization pass, p1, can read that configuration file and figure out the real sizes, constants, etc.

I hope this helps,
Anthony