[LLVMdev] GSoC 2009: Auto-vectorization

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Apr 1 11:20:09 PDT 2009

Hi Andreas,

On Mar 31, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Andreas Bolka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to have a first stab at a loop-based auto-vectorization
> pass as
> part of 2009's Google Summer of Code program.

Good idea!

> As far as I can tell from
> searching the mailing list archives, no work on such an auto-
> vectorizer
> seems to be currently in progress.

Yes.

> Whereas auto-vectorization is a well-researched topic, complexity
> seems
> to quickly explode once more advanced loop constructs are to be
> supported. Therefore my aim is to start with the most minimal
> implementation possible, to explore the difficulties encountered in
> the specific context of LLVM and to build a foundation from which
> future
> work can progress.

> So, initially, I aim at supporting only the simplest loops such as:
>
>    int a[256], b[256], c[256];
>    for (int i = 0; i < 256; ++i)
>      c[i] = a[i] + b[i];
>
> My goal is to implement the necessary analyses and transformations to
> turn IR corresponding to such code into IR utilizing vector
> instructions; i.e. the core of the desired result would look like:
>
>    %va = load <256 x i32>* %a
>    %vb = load <256 x i32>* %b
>    %vc = add <256 x i32> %a, %b
>    store <256 x i32> %vc, <256 x i32>* %c
>
> After this transformation, the code could be left as is (which would
> generate a fully unrolled vector-add, as long as the vector length
> doesn't exceed the lowering capabilities of the code generator), or
> strip-mined into a loop using fixed-size vectors (preferably
> corresponding to the SIMD register width of the target architecture).
>
> Auto-vectorization has numerous dependencies on other
> analysis/transformation passes (loop normalization, constant/scalar
> expansion, dependence analysis, etc). A significant part of the
> proposed
> project is to evaluate already-available LLVM passes regarding their
> applicability to support auto-vectorization and to extend/implement
> what's missing.
>
> As for my personal background, I'm a graduate student at Vienna
> University of Technology (TU Wien) with a strong background in
> compiler
> theory, acquired in a wide variety of undergraduate- and graduate-
> level
> courses. I recently implemented two simple compilers LLVM and
> conducted
> various experiments using LLVM's vector support. My general interest
> in
> data-parallel computation stems from a great fondness of APL
> (especially
> of its modern offspring K). While I'm familiar with the concepts
> behind
> auto-vectorization, I haven't implemented an auto-vectorizer before.
> I'm
> author of and contributor to several smaller open source projects.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions and would be very excited if someone is
> interested in mentoring this.

As Chris said, there are many approaches you can take for a GSoC
project whose title includes "auto vectorization". IMO, building a
initial foundation for data dependence analysis is a good start.

I encourage you to prepare a proposal that includes list of measurable
and achievable milestones with realistic goals, where each milestone
is a small step in the right direction. I am ready to mentor this
project.

-
Devang