[LLVMdev] LLVM and dynamic binary translator

Matthijs Kooijman m.kooijman at student.utwente.nl
Mon Sep 29 03:52:16 PDT 2008

Hi Arabinda,

> 1. Can LLVM be used in a dynamic binary translator? Dynamic translator
> translators target code for an architecture (say PPC) to host code (say x86)
> and execute it.
There has been some discussion about this within the past two months on this
list, IIRC. You should try searching the archives for that discussion.

IIRC, the outcome is that transforming binary code into LLVM IR is very, very
tricky, and almost impossible to do right for any possible input binary.

Others can problem comment a bit more on the topic, I'm just repeating what I
heard other people say on this list :-)

Gr.

Matthijs