[LLVMdev] LLVM and dynamic binary translator

ARABINDA VERMA arabinda.v at samsung.com
Mon Sep 29 03:07:16 PDT 2008

Hello List,

I am a newbie regarding LLVM and need some information on LLVM.

I am working on dynamic binary translation and I am looking into if LLVM can be used for the purpose.

The goal here is to generate highly optimized translated (host) code from target code.

I have following questions.

1. Can LLVM be used in a dynamic binary translator? Dynamic translator translators target code for an architecture (say PPC) to host code (say x86) and execute it.
2. Can LLVM understand disassembled target code and generate optimized host code?
3.  If yes to (1) and (2), where I can find more information?
4. How complex the task would be? (any idea!!)

I appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards
Arabinda