[LLVMdev] LLVMdev Digest, Vol 51, Issue 76

Cloud Strife geforce8800 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:18:42 PDT 2008

Thank you very much for replying. Then I have another question:
Before I start, I want to choose the best platform to develop my project.
Would you please tell what is the best OS platform to develop the llvm
project? There are several choices: Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Linux and Windows.

Your opinion is eagerly expected. Thank you :-)

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:44:33 -0700
> From: Nick Lewycky <nicholas at mxc.ca>
> Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] What can llvm provide when writing a new
>        compiler?
>
> Cloud Strife wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> > Because there is still a little confusion about the huge document, I
> > want to know what llvm can provide when we customize our new compiler?
> > For example, a normal compiler includes lexer, parser, intermediate code
> > generator , optimizer and target code generator. According to llvm
> > documents, it seems that llvm can provide a better intermediate code
> > presentation. And what else can it provide?
>
> Optimizer and target codegen. We also provide an IR file format (both
> binary and textual). You provide the lexer and parser, and you write the
> code that turns your language into LLVM IR.
>
> Note that the codegen is capable of generating both assembly files on
> disk and of JITting. The optimizations are capable of doing
> interprocedural optimizations. Someone might want to put these pieces
> together in a program that ships some IR, generates some IR on the fly,
> and then link-time-optimizes them and JITs the result.
>
> >    Assuming my new lanuage is very unusual, should I write all the
> > parts( lexer, parser, intermediate code generator , optimizer and target
> > code generator) by myself? If so, is there any convenient method /
> > scheme to do so? Because I heard that the biggest advantage of llvm is
> > its flexible and quick-development for new language.
>
> At some point your language has to become a sequence of operations
> executed in order, which can in turn be expressed in LLVM IR. Leave it
> to LLVM to perform your optimization and codegen.
>
> I don't know what document you're referring to, but the LLVM IR is
> really quite compact. Do read it: http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html .
>
> Nick
>
> >   If anyone knows the answer, would you please give me a reply or
> > recommend the chapters which can answer my questions? Thank you very
> > much for any help or any advise.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards.

> End of LLVMdev Digest, Vol 51, Issue 76