[LLVMdev] Bulk Download: Please Stop

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 23 05:56:12 PDT 2008

Dear All,

Someone (hopefully one of you) is doing a mass download of materials
from llvm.org.

Mass downloads are generally  fine, but in this case, they're hitting
the server so hard that it's using all available Apache processes,
preventing access by other LLVM users.  Since these accesses appear
legitimate, I assume that there is no ill intent.  However, these
accesses are, in fact, creating a Denial of Service for everyone else.

If this is you, *please* throttle back your download program or
terminate it.  Also, your download program appears broken because you're
downloading the same files over and over again.

To everyone else, since the web server isn't responding to the community
at large, I'm going to restart it to kill off connections from this bulk
download.

Thanks.

-- John T.