[LLVMdev] first two chapters for the ocaml bindings in svn

Jon Harrop jonathandeanharrop at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 10:57:17 PDT 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 09:56:45 Erick Tryzelaar wrote:
> The full series of the ocaml tutorial is done! You can find it here:
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/
>
> Please let me know if you have any comments, bugs, suggestions, and
> etc. I'll send a mail to the ocaml mailing list tomorrow to drum up
> some interest from the other ocaml users.

I think your new OCaml tutorials and the original C++ ones are absolutely
brilliant!

I do have one minor concern and that is that 25% of the tutorial covers lexing
and parsing which is unrelated to LLVM. I would have expected a trivial
dozen-line parser in OCaml following by lots of LLVM-specific stuff instead.

I also have two main requests for further tutorials:

. More about performance, e.g. what might a compiler using LLVM be expected to
do itself in order to obtain decent performance and how easily can
competitive performance (e.g. comparable with gcc) be obtained for simple
examples.

. More about GC, e.g. a walkthrough of a really simple implementation for a
garbage collected language like the old LLVM-based Scheme implementation with
the Cheney semispace collector.

Fantastic work so far though. Thank you!

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e