[LLVMdev] Proposal : Function Notes

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Sep 19 21:51:29 PDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 6:58 AM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> Hi Devang,
>
>> All supported notes must be documented in LLVM language reference.
> Does this also mean that undocumented / unsupported notes are
> invalid? In
> particular, when I have a custom frontend and backend, using custom
> notes
> could be a great way to communicate between those, if the LLVM IR
> would allow
> unknown notes.

As mentioned before Devang's proposal is not really suited for that.
The notes should be considered to be part of the LLVM IR, and
documented in langref (Devang, did you do this?).

The metadata proposal I sent out would be a more appropriate way of
handling cases where front-ends want to propagate arbitrary information.
http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/EmbeddedMetadata.txt

-Chris