[LLVMdev] Illegal pointer type

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Fri Sep 19 09:57:18 PDT 2008

> I am trying to ask a broad question. My target has 16 bit pointers but
> register size is 8 bit only. What changes in LLVM would be required to
> support 16 bit pointers on 8 bit registers?

The target will need to to multi-byte arithmetic on non-pointer types
as well. The size of the accumulator shouldn't need to be tied
directly to the size of an integer or the size of a pointer in the
back end.

Are you asking about how to write a back-end for an 8-bit target in
general? About whether changes would be required in the LLVM IR
specification to support one? Something else entirely?