[LLVMdev] Using VirtRegMap

Matt Elder elder at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 19 02:41:19 PDT 2008

I'm trying to piece together a few assignments for a graduate-level
compilers class using LLVM; among these is a register allocator. I'd
like to provide a register allocator that, given a partially-allocated
VirtRegMap, will perform trivial register allocation (as in
RegAllocSimple) on the remaining, unmapped virtual registers.

To make a long story short, I want to map a single virtual register to
various physical registers at different times, keeping the relevant
value in memory all along. Can VirtRegMap do this cleanly, or should I
avoid this abstraction and issue stores and loads manually, through
TargetInstrInfo?

Thanks,
- Matt Elder