[LLVMdev] Problems when refining type

Scott Graham scott.llvm at h4ck3r.net
Mon Sep 8 16:21:14 PDT 2008

Quick follow up on this,

I tried defining DEBUG_MERGE_TYPES to see if I could figure out what
was going wrong, but that made the problem disappear. Similarly,
sometimes, running it in a debugger causes the assert not to trigger.

Changing the test to:

int main()
{
    LLVMTypeRef x = LLVMOpaqueType();
    printf("%p\n", x);
    LLVMTypeRef a = LLVMPointerType(x, 0);
    LLVMTypeHandleRef ha = LLVMCreateTypeHandle(a);
    LLVMTypeRef atypes[1] = { LLVMResolveTypeHandle(ha) };
    LLVMRefineType(LLVMResolveTypeHandle(ha), LLVMStructType(atypes, 1, 0));

    LLVMTypeRef y = LLVMOpaqueType();
    printf("%p\n", y);
    LLVMTypeRef b = LLVMPointerType(y, 0);
    LLVMTypeHandleRef hb = LLVMCreateTypeHandle(b);
    LLVMTypeRef btypes[1] = { LLVMResolveTypeHandle(hb) };
    LLVMRefineType(LLVMResolveTypeHandle(hb), LLVMStructType(btypes, 1, 0));

    return 0;
}

made it a little more clear what was going on. When this test "works",
the return value from LLVMOpaqueType() is different both times, and
while PointerTypes in Type.cpp still has the old opaque type left
over, it isn't found.

But, since the first opaque type gets refined away (and deleted),
LLVMOpaqueType can return the same pointer value twice, meaning that
the PointerTypes map holding PointerValType's has a Type* that's
invalid.

Could anyone suggest where to try invalidating that map? (if that's
the right thing to do). Or perhaps PointerValType needs to be a
PATypeHolder?

thanks,
scott