[LLVMdev] Identifying hotspot blocks

Nipun Arora nipun2512 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:28:41 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,
I am working on a project where I am profiling source code(using gcov) line
by line, so as to identify hot spots in the code, and identify the assembly
code corresponding to that particular hotspot(I have to later get an unique
signature for this assembly code).

This is the approach I am following. I have inserted a dummy function say
foo(), and am using a function call to foo(); before and after the hot spots
in the code to act as a marker for me in the assembly code. I then would
like to use the SCC call graph pass in the code and only extract the
signature features for blocks which come between two foo_start() and
foo_end() function calls.

Can anyone please comment on how I can implement this, I am relatively new
to llvm, but Im guessing if I need generate a pass which can show me the
whole CFG in a stack and then do analysis of different blocks. Maybe inherit
a pass from SCCCallgraphPass and BlockGraphPass?

Thanks
Nipun