[LLVMdev] linkage types on global alias

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Tue Oct 28 03:40:55 PDT 2008

Hi Nick,

> Why is that? The LangRef describes weak in terms of common, and common
> in terms of linkonce. Is there some semantic reason that an alias with
> common or linkonce wouldn't make sense,
Right. We're reflecting linkage specification from gcc, where alias
can be external, weak or internal (undocumented, but created by c++
frontend). As alias is purely linker stuff, there is no 'linkonce' or
'common' there. Symbol can be global, internal or weak.

> part of the verifier was never updated when new linkage types were added?
No, verifier is correct. I'll update langref.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov